Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level

These questions are for PV installers (if there are any here).

I just signed up for HART 1071 Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level42.0
Hour.

Here's, sort of, a course description:
http://www.austincc.edu/ce/renewable/industry.php
Required text:
http://www.amazon.com/James-P.-Dunlo..._athr_dp_pel_1

The course is 42 hour course that takes almost 3 months with a once a
week, 4 hour class, and lab. Do you think the typical homeowner (slightly
above avg IQ) would be able to install all aspects of a home PV system
after completing such a course, or would he still have to hire expert
help? I know the course description says: "However, the Certificate by
itself does not qualify an individual to install PV systems." But I think
they just put that in there to cover their butts. The home PV systems I've
seen don't look that complicated and, if this course doesn't teach you all
aspects, do you think it's worth the +$600 tuition and texts? My wife
wants ME to install the home PV system when I'm done with the class. My
construction experience is limited to home improvement projects like
installing door, floors, walls and some electrical work like moving
switches. Very limited as far as electricity is concerned.

*I haven't installed any solar PV systems nor do I advocate that anyone does
without carefully weighing the costs versus the gains. I'm an electrical
contractor in NJ and have taken a few courses on these installations as part
of my continuing ed requirements. The current driving force in NJ to
install solar is SREC's (Solar Renewable Energy Certificates)
http://www.njcleanenergy.com/renewab...newable-energy
Apparently you can buy and trade these certificates. You can assign who
will benefit from them such as the installer who can apply them towards your
installation cost. As one instructor put it "The current demand for solar
power installations in NJ has nothing to do with electricity. It is all
about SREC's". He is an engineer who is currently consulting on 33
commercial PV installations in NJ.

A discussion did come up in one class about qualified installers and
training. The certificates that are issued by these schools are worth squat
in the real world. You will probably learn a lot, but without knowledge of
electrical installations in general and the codes involved you won't have
all of the knowledge that you need to do it successfully. There is a lot of
planning necessary and if you hope to get any rebates or tax breaks which is
the only way to make it financially viable, there will be a lot of paperwork
involved. All of which must be done beforehand.

I know that some manufacturers require that installers receive their
training before they can do installations. I have also heard that Costco is
now selling plug-in systems for a homeowner to install. In my most recent
class the topic of microinverters came up which was a new one for me.
Apparently some solar panels come with their own inverters so that each
panel will now put out AC power This makes it a little simpler instead of
having to wire both AC and DC power.

If you really want to pursue this I suggest getting a copy of the 2011
National Electrical Code and read the appropriate chapters such as Article
690 and article 250. You should also talk with the power company if you
plan on tying into the grid to get a payback. The power company will have
final say whether you can tie in or not (At least in NJ they do). You
should also talk to your building department about their requirements to
pass inspection. You will need permits to do this work and they may not
allow homeowners to do it themselves. You may need an engineer to evaluate
how much weight your roof can tolerate. You should also be comfortable
working with live electricity.

I have heard that fireman are very concerned about solar panels in case they
have to go on a roof. Those panels are always producing power when it is
light out and they would have to break through them to gain access to the
roof below.

You should also have a lot of life left on your roof before mounting the
panels. Otherwise you will need to remove the panels in a few years to get
a new roof installed.

The solar panels usually have a rated life of 20 years. After that they
must be disposed of and replaced. From what I understand, there is
currently no process available at this time to successfully recycle solar
panels. So they just wind up in a landfill. So much for going green.

BTW $600.00 for a 42 hour specialized course is very cheap. I wish my
community college had deal like that.