Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default a 30" door is not a 30" door apparently

Friend of mine asked if he could borrow my router, because he needed to
replace a door in his house. House is recent construction, doors are
hollow core "six panel" doors apparently made of pressed poop and fail.
He bought a similar door (from HD) the same nominal size and just
wanted to rout the mortises for the hinges, because being mass produced
prehung doors they used radius-corner hinges.

The old door measured 29-7/8" wide. The new door (Jeld-Wen) brand
measured almost 30-1/4" wide. FAIL FAIL FAIL. Of course I didn't have
a plane in the trunk of my car.

On the upside, while the old busted door appeared to have the outside
frame made of MDF, the new Jeld-Wen door, despite having the same flimsy
(understatement of century) facing, used real pine for the structure.

I personally would have been tempted to spend the $$ and buy a real
solid pine paneled door, but then the doors in the rest of the house
would have looked like **** in comparison...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.