Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level

These questions are for PV installers (if there are any here).

I just signed up for HART 1071 Solar Electric Systems, Entry-Level42.0 Hour.

Here's, sort of, a course description:
http://www.austincc.edu/ce/renewable/industry.php
Required text:
http://www.amazon.com/James-P.-Dunlo..._athr_dp_pel_1

The course is 42 hour course that takes almost 3 months with a once a
week, 4 hour class, and lab. Do you think the typical homeowner
(slightly above avg IQ) would be able to install all aspects of a home
PV system after completing such a course, or would he still have to hire
expert help? I know the course description says: "However, the
Certificate by itself does not qualify an individual to install PV
systems." But I think they just put that in there to cover their butts.
The home PV systems I've seen don't look that complicated and, if this
course doesn't teach you all aspects, do you think it's worth the +$600
tuition and texts? My wife wants ME to install the home PV system when
I'm done with the class. My construction experience is limited to home
improvement projects like installing door, floors, walls and some
electrical work like moving switches. Very limited as far as electricity
is concerned.

Jim