Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Toggle switches

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
For aesthetic purposes I wanted to use toggle switches as those
commonly used on electronic equipment for use as light switches in a
room. Plan is to make my own cover plates from brushed aluminum. What
would the requirements be to make these code compliant if that is
possible, The switches I have are rated for 120VAC @ 20 amp DPDT I was
planing on using these switches as for both the single switch, 3 way
and 4 way operation.

*Article 404.9(B) requires that the metal wall plate be grounded. This
is usually accomplished through the grounding of the switch.

Article 110.2 requires that the equipment shall be acceptable only if
approved for the purpose. There should be a UL or other recognized
testing laboratory label on it. You can contact the manufacturer to
find out if they have submitted the switches for testing for the purpose
that you intend.

If you are installing new wiring, the 2011 National Electrical Code
requires a neutral conductor at each switch location Article 404.2(C).

** John, does the new article on neutrals at switch locations, specify
anything regarding 3ways and 4ways?

*Roy I just had my mandatory 9 hours of code class this past week and that
article was a heated discussion because of 3-ways and 4-ways. It doesn't
matter what switch type it is. A neutral conductor must be present. It
is because of the variety of electronic controls available now that
require a neutral to operate. Apparently when there is no neutral
available, people have been using the grounding conductor. There are some
exceptions, but they are as result of accessibility in adding a neutral in
the future such as if the wiring was in conduit and another conductor
could be pulled through at a later date.

For a three-way set up where the load is at one end and the line is at the
other end, the neutral is of course carried through. However if you want
to bring everything into one box and just extend out for a three way
switch, you will need four conductors plus ground. I suggested in the
class that using 14-2-2 with one conductor relabeled may be a solution. I
will have to run it by a few inspectors to see what they will accept. NJ
has not yet adopted the 2011 code and they usually will eliminate some
things as being required after much discussion publicly and privately.

Most of the new electronic devices I've seen lately, that replace 3way and
4way switches, don't wire in the same fashion as the switches did, and they
only need a neutral at one end, but who knows what's on the horizon.
Here is NY we just started using the 2008 code a few months ago, so I have
years before I have to worry about it