Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Time For New Cordless Drill/Driver

On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:06:37 -0400, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at
comcast dot net wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

If you want dependability consider Panasonic and Makita, in that order.
With Makita stick with the green ones rather than the black and white
ones.
Also, an impact does not replace a regular drill driver unless you find
one like the Panasonic that has clutch settings.
Also, in you look at Amazon you can typically buy a drill/driver with out
charger or batteries at a pretty reasonable price to compliment the
impact.
My most current brand is Makita, I have owned them before and this is the
only brand that I have gone back to. I recently steered Swingman towards
the Makita and I think he is pretty happy with it.

----

Yep, I am a Makita fan tool. I bought a bunch of them over the years and
steered friends to them as well. I never had the need for a super
industrial model of anything. But I did not want junk either. Makita did
it for me. I have an old 9.6 volt ni-cad drill with a clutch that will
still drive three inch deck screws into hard joists. That is good enough
for anything I do. I also like the abundance and easy availability of
single tools.

My first drills (12V and a 9.6V right-angle) were Makita. I then bought the
cut-off saw. I haven't bought a Makita since. I then went to a PC
(pre-crapsmaning), which was too heavy, a few DeWalts (too heavy or not enough
power) and now have a bunch (12V and 18V series) of Bosch drills and drivers.
I like them far better than any of the others I've used.

You can get a kit to get a charger and batteries. Then just get what you
need after that. It is amazing that a lot of people don't know that. I
have told this basic bit of information to quite a number of people. Many
people think that rechargeable tools only come in kits and can only be
purchased at the Borg. A web search turns up lots of sources and Amazon is
a favorite once they figure it out.

Sure, but Lowes carries individual tools, also. Home Despot has gone down the
tubes over the last five years or so.

Some interesting discussions would follow this revelation. Like, what are
all these tools for? Or, who needs all of these tools? I would patiently
explain the function of most of the tools. I must admit though, never have
seem some of them, I was a little unsure to their exact utility. But I
didn't have any problem figuring out what I would use them for!! LOL And
if they thought that the tools were kind of expensive, I just show them some
industrial tools or Festool. That shuts them up.

Festool is outrageous for some things. Not so much for others. I'm using
their smaller track saw today, in fact (just taking a break). It really isn't
any more expensive than DeWalt's track saw and there are a lot more
accessories available for it.