Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Toggle switches

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
For aesthetic purposes I wanted to use toggle switches as those
commonly used on electronic equipment for use as light switches in a
room. Plan is to make my own cover plates from brushed aluminum. What
would the requirements be to make these code compliant if that is
possible, The switches I have are rated for 120VAC @ 20 amp DPDT I was
planing on using these switches as for both the single switch, 3 way
and 4 way operation.

*Article 404.9(B) requires that the metal wall plate be grounded. This is
usually accomplished through the grounding of the switch.

Article 110.2 requires that the equipment shall be acceptable only if
approved for the purpose. There should be a UL or other recognized
testing laboratory label on it. You can contact the manufacturer to find
out if they have submitted the switches for testing for the purpose that
you intend.

If you are installing new wiring, the 2011 National Electrical Code
requires a neutral conductor at each switch location Article 404.2(C).

** John, does the new article on neutrals at switch locations, specify
anything regarding 3ways and 4ways?