Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fried outlet

On May 14, 9:04*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On May 13, 2:08*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

I had an outage due to my own ****ing foolishness. *Flipped the
relevant breaker & all was well -- I thought.

Went to watch a little TV before sleep; whole "entertainment center"
dark. *Traced it to wall outlet which powered the whole shebang. *So
now great big yellow power cord trailing across bedroom floor to
unaffected outlet.

My few attempts at *installing new outlets in another room didn't work
out too great (though I followed instructions exactly), and I can ill
afford to pay an electrician to do the job.

Is this do-able by a non-techie?

(Also, why just that one outlet fried?)

TIA

HB

Let me count the ways to say: "I am an idiot".

1. *Not just one outlet fried. *Traced other outlets on that circuit;
all dead.

2. *Huge panic; *I may have to call electrician to deal with whole
circuit.

3. *Then wondered why one circuit came right back on after the short,
when I flipped breaker, but not the other.

4. *So went out to look at breaker box again. *No breaker was out of
line, as when a circuit blows.

5. *But I thought whatthell, I'll flip the appropriate breaker just in
case.

6. *So of course everything came back on.

7. *Never was a fried outlet.

8. *I am an idiot

BUT: *Now curious why the 2nd breaker didn't look like it had blown.
Aren't they all supposed look conspicuously out of place? *Inquiring
minds..

HB.- Hide quoted text -

My experience has been that some breakers trip and move visibly, while
other breakers trip and it is impossible to see that the handle has
moved. I routinely just cycle them off and then on.