Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical conductor that can carry a physical load?

On 5/14/2011 6:59 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 5/14/2011 7:01 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
On May 14, 6:46 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a ceiling light out of wood. It will weigh
about 10lb. Just wondering - is there any way the conductor could also
carry the mass?

Thanks!

Pavel

That's pretty heavy for a cable to carry, why not use a steel cable
clipped
to an electrical cable

Aesthetics. I imagine four supports: three steel cables and one
conductor. So I guess 2.5lb on the conductor... Still a no go?

They do make fixtures that dangle off of a three conductor plastic cord,
typically only a couple of pounds. If you have multiple cables,
they're a
pia to adjust. What about chain or 1/8" threaded pipe

Hi,
Chandelier can weigh quite a bit. Guess it can be done with some sort of
decorative chain?

They sell power cable with a strain relief string built into it. Of
course it is aimed at industrial use, so it is usually thick and black.
IIRC, it also uses special crimped-on clip doohickeys on the ends. You
have to fold the strain relief strands over, and put them under the clip.

Very similar to the cords they used to use on large power tools and
floor-cleaning equipment.

A real lighting shop (not the big-box) can probably fix you right up.

--
aem sends...

Have you ever seen steel reinforced rubber covered mining cable like
that used in underground mines to power excavating machines? :-)

TDD