Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio
Fleetie Fleetie is offline

Default Help with wiring colors on old headphones

Patrick wrote:
On 13:49 14 May 2011, Phil Allison wrote:

"Patrick = another PITA Jerk
Out of phase headphone transducers create a far more subtle adverse
effect than that noticed in loudspeakers, so it is not something
immediately evident by A-B testing.

** That is 100% ****ing BULL**** !!!!!!!!!

With any mono signal, the difference is HUGE.

There is no phase cancellation like there is for speaker sounds because the
sound from each headphone transducer is interfereing with the other.

Wrong, I'm afraid. I myself have heard a 2-channel sound clip on the net that
irrefutably demonstrated that interference does occur in the brain, at
lowish frequencies, but not that low. Up to a few hundred Hz.

It was a clip of (f Hz) in one channel/earphone, and (f+delta Hz) into
the other earphone.

With just either (one) earphone inserted, you could hear just a plain tone of
f or (f+delta) as expected.

With both in, you heard the beating at a few Hz, proving that addition/
mixing was taking place in the brain.

It sounded very weird, and I was very surprised. but the effect was utterly
obvious and undeniable.

I can't remember now where I found the sound sample, but IIRC it was a link
on Wikipedia.

Martin