Posted to alt.home.repair
dumbstruck dumbstruck is offline

Default Fix panel circuit breaker?

On May 14, 9:33*am, "RBM" wrote:

**Depending upon the buildings electrical setup, and equipment, it may or
may not be an easy replacement. If the panel is in your apt, there will be a
main circuit breaker where the electric meters are, that should kill power

I know how to kill power for our floor; there is just a concern how I
will kill grannies in the neighboring units who are on life support
machines or whatever. Nobody pays attentions to notices I may give
beforehand... well that's a side issue about me wanting to do it when
the whole building and thus elevator is shut down. I would have to be
ready with the right tools and hardware.

to your panel. Once the panel is dead, and verified dead, you can open the
panel. It may have a 2 piece cover. It may have clips, clamps or screws to
open it, but definitely something should be visible. Once it's opened,

Holy moley, I had seen a disengaged clamp on one side (thought it was
to lock the door) but now I found little slots to unclamp the other 4
sides. This converts the 20 pound cover into a guillotine blade trying
to shoot straight down and amputate the feet (same thing on the
reclamp which it strongly resists doing).

typical residential Westinghouse circuit breaker is a push on type and will
come out if you pull on the buss end, the end opposite where the wire is
attached. You may also have a bolt on type, which will have a metal tab
screwed to the buss. If so, the screws will be visible

This is a 35 year old big industrial size unit. It looks like breakers
could only come out to the side where the wires attach. I can just
barely see a little quarter inch hex nut hidden there; maybe getting a
socket wrench on that will set it free? Even if unlocked, it looks
almost impossible to get out due to the geometry, and maybe some other
framework has to be removed (big job).

I guess the next step is to find some place selling possibly obsolete
circuit breaker types and look at the screws. Maybe I will shoot wd40
into it first, because why would an unused circuit breaker fail. Maybe
a leaf spring broke? Thanks... want to avoid another expensive service
visit like the plumber who charged me 5X what was justified and stole
some repair material from me.