Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default Fried outlet

On May 14, 2:34*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 14:08:20 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

wrote:
I had an outage due to my own ****ing foolishness. *Flipped the
relevant breaker & all was well -- I thought.

Went to watch a little TV before sleep; whole "entertainment center"
dark. *Traced it to wall outlet which powered the whole shebang. *So
now great big yellow power cord trailing across bedroom floor to
unaffected outlet.

My few attempts at *installing new outlets in another room didn't work
out too great (though I followed instructions exactly), and I can ill
afford to pay an electrician to do the job.

Is this do-able by a non-techie?

(Also, why just that one outlet fried?)

TIA

HB

Either your entertainment center is huge and sucking a ton of power,
or else you have some large loads on that outlet besides the
entertainment center. *Normally a tv and stereo only draw a few amps
at most. *What is all on that circuit? *(including other outlets)?

Could be the outlet itself was bad. *Worn contacts and loose wires can
cause them to overheat and fry. *

Why are you hesitating to replace the thing? *In the time it took you
to post this message, you could have changed the outlet, and a new
outlet only costs $2 to $3. *Less if you get a cheap one (not
recommended).

If you're afraid to change it, call an electrician, or at least find a
friend or relative who knows how to do it and is handy with tools.
This is normally a very simple repair, and is safe as long as the
power is shut off during the repair. *Personally, from what you said,
I'd suggest getting temporary second job to earn the money to pay an
electrician, because it sounds like you're too stupid to do this
repair yourself.

FOR REAL...HE SOUNDS LIKE A NEW CASE STUDY POSTER CHILD FOR DANGEROUS
CONNECTIONS ON A RESIDENTIAL ELETRICAL OUTLET....BOOOWAHAHAHAHAHA !

TGITM