Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix panel circuit breaker?

On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:11:51 -0700 (PDT), dumbstruck
wrote:

I get no power to a kitchen stove, and I notice it's 50 amp circuit
breaker flops loosely back and forth (in old westinghouse wpa panel).
Does this mean the breaker needs replacing, or can it be coaxed to
work somehow? Or could it be ok and it's not being fed power (but
adjacent breakers work ok)? The stove hasn't drawn power except for
it's clock for a dozen years, so maybe salt air corrosion took effect
on contacts?

The circuit breaker should reset if you move the handle *ALL* the way to the
"off" position and then back to the "on" position. If it flops around that
far, it's toast. Replace it.

The next issue is fixing it... not easily turned off due to being a
multi family unit panel.

That doesn't sound kosher.

Building power will be turned off for a
coming maintenance day, but without working elevators no electrician
will want to climb the many stories to work on it. Can I fix it
myself? I don't see any way to detach the metal frame from it.

The cover should just unscrew. Replacing breakers is easy (make sure to get
the same brand and style as the panel). Really, it's so easy that if you have
to ask these questions it may be a better idea to pay someone to do it. It
*can* be dangerous.