Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Help with wiring colors on old headphones

On 05/14/2011 04:54 AM, Patrick wrote:
On 12:44 14 May 2011, Phil Allison wrote:

"Patrick"

I have some vinatge headphones (Sennheiser HD424) and want to attach a
new
plug.

Which color wires are the positive ones?

The colors in one of the leads are red& blue and in the other lead
black& yellow. (No wire is used as screening - there's just two
wires in each lead.)

** Stick the damn phones on your fat head and connect pairs of wires
to a AA battery until you hear a click.

Now you have your two pairs of wires.

Wire them to a plug any way around you like and connect the same AA to
the common and both positives at the same time.

If the click seems to comes from right inside your head - game over.

If you need more explanation - you do not deserve it.

..... Phil

The four wires are already grouped as two pairs, so we already know which
two wires go together.

I want to get the phasing right (even for headphones). I need to know
which color wire in each pair is the positive.

Are you familiar with decoding these red& blue and black& yellow
headphone wires?

"If the click seems to come from right inside your head - game over".

What more do you need? Phil's given you a test to see if the phasing is
correct, can you not figure it out, or what to do if the click seems to
come from your right or your left?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services