Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Harper CANNOT be trusted with a majority Gov't.

On 5/13/2011 1:15 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 5/13/2011 9:48 AM, Jack Stein said this:

Microsoft has survived so far, and at the consumers expense, clearly demonstrating why monopolies and corrupt government is bad, directly opposite of HeyBubs contemplations.
Of course while government could have fixed this when the DOJ filed suit for anti-trust in 1994, and found Microsoft guilty of horrendous violation of the Federal Anti-trust laws, The DOJ APPEALED it's VICTORY and the judge was removed from the case. This had to have cost Microsoft a TON of money. It's not everyday the VICTOR in a lawsuit appeals a ruling in it's favor.
The Judge said that the violations were so ****ing bad he sent the the consent decree back as insufficient based on the degree of violations. In other words the judge, after reviewing the case decided that the redress sought by the DOJ was not nearly enough based on the severity of the violations.
The result of this corrupt bull**** is the world is stuck with the worlds worst operating system, whilst the dumb ass users think they are getting one virus after another, the truth is its the operating system.
Capitalism only works well when competition thrives, and Microsoft is a prime example of what happens when a corrupt, inept government allows competition to wither on the vine.

http://www.cato.org//pubs/pas/pa352.pdf

I don't need this guy to tell me what went on or what was good for me.
I was there, and while he makes a point here and there, he is simply off
base. He particularly lost me when he said:

"The price of Windows, on
a comparable features basis, has plummeted.Windows 3.0, which required
the added purchase of DOS, was introduced in April 1990 at a combined
price of $205."

First, there was no "Addtional purchase required, the OS was MSDOS and
windows was simply a shell that ran on top of DOS. You could not run
windows w/o dos, period.

The "combined price" was bogus, and MS charged retails way, way, way
less than that, as long as they towed the line, meaning they sold PC's
with DOS, and nothing else. This is partly why the hapless consumer
got hosed, and is consequently running the worlds worst OS. Gates spent
all his time controlling the market rather than producing a robust OS or
going out of business.

http://www.cato.org//pubs/pas/pa-405es.html

Having intimate experience with DOS/windows, UNIX and OS/2, I don't need
someone to tell me Microsoft's anti-trust violations somehow produced
something good, it simply didn't. The proof is on my PC as we speak.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com