Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Seeking home surveillance FAQ

Joseph650 wrote:
I'm looking to keep an eye on an area outside of my home from about 10
p.m. until about 6 a.m. I need good resolution, IR, a microphone and
the ability to record the video output. Wired is OK, and I'm
comfortable with keeping a dedicated PC operating to do the recording
/ DVR functions.

I'm not looking for the info itself, but a link to a decent FAQ or
two. Search engines are providing me with a volcano of info, but no
matter how specific I search, the results are just a mess. I think
search engines are devolving, but I digress...

If anyone knows a source for basic information and/or a usenet group
that discusses this sort of thing, please let me know.

I got the el-cheapo model from HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-95914.html

or
http://www.harborfreight.com/weather...ion-47546.html

Coupled with a video-input card ($17.00) and I have an adequate ability to
capture bedroom romps and the setup may be sufficient for your needs.
http://www.directron.com/tvpcirc.html

The card comes with rudimentary video-editting software (cut/paste).

As I recall, at high resolution it burns up about 1 GB of diskspace per hour
(it's been a while since I HAD a bedroom romp). That's no biggie inasmuch as
40-Gig hard drives are as cheap as $10 on my local Craigslist.