Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What do you think?

Tony Hwang wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
One tree branch about ~4 in. in diameter over hangs across the fence
casting shade on our gazebo. I few times mentioned to the neighbor
to take care of his tree but no response at all. Now SWMBO says cut
it and toss the branch over into their yard. Is it too rude to do
that?

You don't like shade on your gazebo? I would.

If you want to cut it, you can cut it but it is up to you to dispose
of the trash.

If you do decide to cut it, I suggest you talk to the neighbor, tell
him you are going to cut it and ask if you can come onto his
property so you can cut it properly. "Properly" is *NOT* just
whacking it off, it is cutting close to the trunk or branch from
which is growing so the cambium layer can eventually grow over the
cut; if you just whack it, the stub will rot. If you do it
properly, disposal is still your job.

Hmmm,
I'll have another talk with him and disposing of it myself is no
problem. Our little tool shed suffered a major dent once from the
branch. The tree is not of a kind worthy of looking after, kind of
poplar. I have basic knowledge of pruning (thanks I took 3 years
horticulture class in HS)

My neighbor has poplar trees right on the property line. The trunks are pushing
my fence into my yard. They drop 2-3 inch branches fro 50-70 feet up during
winter storms, which I understand is something poplars do. So far, the only
damage has been a hole in corrugated fiberglass over my firewood, but I do worry
about my garage roof if it happens with different wind direction.