Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What do you think?

Robert Green wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
One tree branch about ~4 in. in diameter over hangs across the fence
casting shade on our gazebo. I few times mentioned to the neighbor to
take care of his tree but no response at all. Now SWMBO says cut it
and toss the branch over into their yard. Is it too rude to do that?

You can legally cut whatever overhangs onto your property as long as
you don't trespass on your neighbor's land to do it. At least in most
jurisdictions. And in most jurisdictions, you would be liable for
the cost of them hiring someone really expensive to haul away the
branch that you threw onto their property. That's not allowed.

Trespassing requires more than mere presence. At a minimum, there must be
some notification to the interloper that his visitation is not permitted.
This notification can be verbal ("Go away!") or, more often, a sign.

Even WITH prior warning, exigent circumstances (such as a fire or limb about
to fall) trumps the notice.

Were this not the case, the letter-carriers, meter-readers, and so forth
would spend most of their time in jail.