Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default Sea-facing gable-end wall to paint

On 12 May, 14:56, Tabby wrote:
On May 12, 1:34*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:

On May 10, 9:24*pm, Tabby wrote:

Fwiw lime is durable, doesnt cause damp leading to damage, and handles
salts in a way that does not damage the wall underneath. Its also
exceptionally easy to apply and extremely cheap.

Very much agree.

It lasts a good deal longer than 10 years.

That is not my experience. *When I applied it myself (made up from
lime putty + water+milk) it lasted about three years. *Getting a
professional in to apply it, and buying it ready made, it lasted about
five.

Silicate paints are getting good writeups. *They are more expensive
than limewash, but it may be worth it for the OP given the longer
life. *I haven't ever used them. For example:http://www.earthbornpaints.co.uk/sil...onry-paint.php

The lime paint I put on concrete nearly 10 years ago is still as new.
I didnt add milk.

Interesting. Maybe lime sticks better to concrete than to clay lump.
(Which wouldn't be totally amazing.)