Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Deciphering a Bridgeport Mill...

"Pete S" wrote in message
.. .

I'd agree with Gunner about the backlash. My old vertical mill has about
that much backlash. I added a 2 axis digital readout 10 years ago (the
inexpensive Canadian one) and it takes most of that issue away. The only
time it still is a problem is if I am milling a rectangular pocket. I
really have to tighten the "other" axis to keep the table from moving into
the cut.

Excessive backlash only means the nut hasn't been changed out with a new one
recently.

And a lack of excessive backlash could very well mean that someone recently
replaced the nut on what is otherwise a thtrashed machine.