Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default Deciphering a Bridgeport Mill...

I'd agree with Gunner about the backlash. My old vertical mill has about
that much backlash. I added a 2 axis digital readout 10 years ago (the
inexpensive Canadian one) and it takes most of that issue away. The only
time it still is a problem is if I am milling a rectangular pocket. I
really have to tighten the "other" axis to keep the table from moving into
the cut.

My other comment:
I wouldn't put a shaper in the same sentence as a vertical milling machine.
Once upon a time I had to have a shaper. I got one. I used it a few times,
most notably for making square holes in 2" thick blocks of steel. Other
than that, it mostly sat there. Almost anything that I wanted to do could
be done on the mill. One main selling point for the shaper is that you can
grind your own tools. If that's real important, maybe that's a selling
point, but a shaper will never be a milling machine. On the other hand, I
think there are still plenty of them out there- they are just hiding in
corners in older shops. I'll bet that, if you seriously advertised for one
you'd get a lot of interest, as long as you'd pay over scrap price.

Pete Stanaitis