Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Deciphering a Bridgeport Mill...

....from cheesy web pictures.

Local enough, price seems tolerable (but probably indicates wear/age as
well as the short (32"?) table.) Don't know if it's inconvenient 480V 3
phase which the last overpriced one I didn't bother looking at was....

I don't know enough about Bridgeports to decipher what the head is. The
lister "listed it for a friend" and says answers to my questions will be
a few days - but I can go look at it in person, so I don't think we're
looking at any Nigerian scam artists here.

I also don't know what I don't know about looking at a Bridgeport, to
some extent. I guess it has the dovetail ram, which is a good thing, as
I understand it. I've done a lot more with lathes than mills, but I'm
looking to add either a mill or a shaper to the line-up, and shapers are
few, far between, and really hard to move if they are big enough to do
much work.

http://images.craigslist.org/3m23p53...2a14c31bd3.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3m83o73...90f4341445.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3kb3o03...59755e19a6.jpg

Anything good, bad, indifferent, useful, sucky about the mills in the
pictures you can tell from the pictures would be helpful. Where to look
and what to check for (I guess I know that scraping patterns worn away
indicate bed wear, but I'm really limited on "common problems of the
Bridgeport to look out for"