Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to place cold air return

On May 10, 11:41*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 10, 9:38*pm, Matt wrote:

In finishing my basement all 3 of my supply lines will be near the
ceiling at 3 different corners of the basement. *For the cold-air
return, I can either place it in the middle of the room near the
ceiling, or in the fourth corner of the room near the floor. *I
realize that it really should be near the floor in the middle of the
room, but that just is not possible for me. *So my question is which
is generally better - to have the return in the middle of the room and
have it near the ceiling, or to have it off to the side, but near the
floor? *Thanks.

It depends partially on whether you are more concerned about heating
or cooling, and you don't say which is your more critical application.

Assuming it's mainly heating for the basement, I'd go with the
return near the floor. If it's at the ceiling and the supplies are
also
there, you may have much of the heat staying up top. But on the
other hand, if it's all living space above that's heated too, may
not matter all that much as the warm air at the top will contribute
to heating the house too.