Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Drop ceiling or drywall ceiling?

On May 10, 10:36*pm, RonB wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:39*pm, "CraigT" wrote:

I know everyone wants a drywall ceiling, but I have a walkout basement that
if I were to put a drywall ceiling in I'd have to put in 12 access panels
for electrical boxes, water shutoffs, vent dampers, etc. in an area 18' X
27'. * Here are couple pictures of what I've got in the way of *"stuff" I
need access to and what it might look like with all the panels. *Would I
just be better off going with a drop ceiling?

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ry1y6x.jpg

http://oi55.tinypic.com/334nj2f.jpg

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6047 (20110416) __________

http://www.eset.com

A drop ceiling provides the access you want and I would go with it.
When we built our new house we only finished about 2/3 of the
basement. *We did sheet rock most of the finished area, but with a
little planning and consulting with our plumber, we kept nearly all of
the plumbing runs in the unfinished area. *The main exception was the
guest bath which was directly beneath the kitchen and edge of the
upstairs was room. *We opted to put a drop ceiling in that bath. *The
only two upstairs pluming runs not accessible from the basement are
15' of hose bib run and some gas line.

So it stands to reason one of these is going to shoot craps. *Hope it
ain't the gas line!

RonB

Which is why if you were that concerned about such things
you would supply your home's water with Pex tubing used
in a home-run/manifold configuration with a separate line
feeding each point of use and use flexible gas tubing, neither
of which would have any connections made in a concealed and
inaccessible location...

If the piping itself fails (not at a connection between two
segments) then you will know with water or gas, the leaking
area will be wet with a water leak and you would smell the
gas leak...

Leaving your ceiling unfinished in a basement won't make
the piping any more or less likely to fail in the exposed and
totally accessible area... That is where the elements of
chance and luck factor in...

~~ Evan