Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Weight of truck on concrete sidewalk

On May 11, 2:31*am, ransley wrote:
On May 10, 11:10*am, harry wrote:

On May 10, 1:49*pm, ransley wrote:

*I am having an apartment building gutted because of fire, the
contractor wants to park a dump truck on my lawn and sidewalk which is
a few years old. The truck is medium size dual rear wheels with about
16-20 ft bed 5 ft high, I guess maybe 10 ton loaded but I dont know.
What do I need to have them put under the wheels to protect my
concrete and lawn, can I really protect the concrete from cracking. I
thought using 1" plywood cut in half so I would have 2" thick 4 foot
wide sheets under each wheel. Or must I have them park in the street.

It depends on how wet the ground is. If dry, no problem at all. If wet
they only answer is a load of stone spread out or substanial steel
plates, maybe both.
For get bits of wood, they will be just mashed into the ground if wet.

As to the concrete in practice, there is absolutely nothing wil save
it if it's too thin to stand the weight, only bury it with stone, you
would need around 9" to make any difference at all.

A tractor as someone has mentioned has a much lower ground pressure.

The clue is to ask about the tyre pressures. If it is 80-100psi, you
have a problem. *If it's 20-30 psi a lot less problem.

Worst case scenario is if truck digs in and gets stuck on your lawn
and needs to be towed out. *Happens very easily with two axle trucks.

This is a city, Chicago Illinois, its totaly different from country or
a non code area. Hey Harry hoes the solar going, my family was from
Tisbury.- Hide quoted text -

The PV technology is working good. The inverter is amazing, the stuff
it does. Dunno how it does it though.

It analyses a whole bunch of statistics that can be brought upon the
screen including graphical displays of hisorical performance and
instantaneous perameters.
Also brings up error codes. Looking in the book there are about a
hundred of them. ****! A hundred possible things to go wrong!

It is 3.88kw.
On the best day so far it has done 29kwh but averages around 20kwh.
Should improve as Summer advances/day length increases. Worst day was
6.9kwh, heavy overcast.

I need to average 10kwh/day over a year to make to money forecast so
all is well so far.

It was a bunch of total ******s came to install it. They ****ed up my
roof and had to repair it and wired up the array wrong twice before
they got it right.
I had to get up there myself and show them how to go on. Toe rags.
It was perfectly straightforward, any DIY man could do it.
I didn't half give their "manager" a bollocking.

I have issues with them over the earthing/grounding too.
There is nearly 700 volts chucking about up there.

We have changed our lifestyle. All electricity using activities now
revolve round the solar panel.