Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Weight of truck on concrete sidewalk

On May 10, 5:43*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry wrote:
On May 10, 1:49 pm, ransley wrote:
I am having an apartment building gutted because of fire, the
contractor wants to park a dump truck on my lawn and sidewalk which
is a few years old. The truck is medium size dual rear wheels with
about 16-20 ft bed 5 ft high, I guess maybe 10 ton loaded but I dont
know. What do I need to have them put under the wheels to protect my
concrete and lawn, can I really protect the concrete from cracking. I
thought using 1" plywood cut in half so I would have 2" thick 4 foot
wide sheets under each wheel. Or must I have them park in the street.

It depends on how wet the ground is. If dry, no problem at all. If wet
they only answer is a load of stone spread out or substanial steel
plates, maybe both.
For get bits of wood, they will be just mashed into the ground if wet.

As to the concrete in practice, there is absolutely nothing wil save
it if it's too thin to stand the weight, only bury it with stone, you
would need around 9" to make any difference at all.

A tractor as someone has mentioned has a much lower ground pressure.

The clue is to ask about the tyre pressures. If it is 80-100psi, you
have a problem. *If it's 20-30 psi a lot less problem.

Worst case scenario is if truck digs in and gets stuck on your lawn
and needs to be towed out. *Happens very easily with two axle trucks.

Don't know about loads and such, but around here contractors for city road
projects lay a honkin' big sheet of steel across holes in the street. I mean
it's like 1/2" thick. That would probably distribute the load quite well.

@HeyBub:

Those steel plates used in roadway work are 1" thick or better and
are only allowed to be used where the span of the hole it is covering
is less than half the width of the plate and the plate is centered
over
the hole...

You need a serious size front end loader to move those things
around safely...

In this particular situation such a plate is not recommended because
they would represent a slipping hazard for foot traffic when wet and
this sort of project work will go months where the truck the OP is
worried about is being used as the dumpster for the contractor...

~~ Evan