Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default Concept Piece: How Many Angels . . .

"charlie b" wrote in message
snip

My goal - to turn a piece that answers the question
"How many angels - can fit on the head of a pin?"

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...nyAngels1.html

If you haven't YET tried turning a "long" really small diameter piece -
have a look and consider doing something that's small - really small.

I'm going to try and do a video of how I use my parting tool to turn
small. Will post the URL when I've got it on YouTube.

Questions, comments, suggestions always welcomed.

As usual, very interesting work. You noted that poplar was not a good choice
and I suspect you will quickly reach a lower limit with most woods. The
cellular structure is too large. Basswood or Holly might get you smaller.
Tagua nut is another option for very small turnings and you might also
search on 'ivory substitutes' or look at some of the plastics.

How are you seeing this stuff while you turn? I'd need at least 4X
magnification at the scale you're turning. Electron microscope in your
future? Nano Turning!

Thanks for sharing!

LD