Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Router Air Movement (How Much is for Cooling?)

Ok, as some of you know I am using Bosch Colt Routers as spindles on my
Taig and on my MaxNC mills for cutting aluminum. The Bosch Colt routers
like most wood routers (all?) have an internal fan that blows downward
around the cutter. It fantastic for doing wood work as it blows the
sawdust away from the work piece and allows you to see what you are
doing. Its even helpful to some degree when doing aluminum work dry as
it helps blow the aluminum chips away.

However since I have started using flood lubricant I think it is
contributing substantially to oil mist (the Taig is in a full enclosure
now and the MaxNC will be when I have time to build one) and wasted
lubricant. I still get enough flowing on the cutter to do a great job
and wash the chips aside, but whenever I am using a small short cutter
you can really see the lubricant fly on the cameras.

There is a cylinder protruding below the fan outlets that I could easily
make an air deflector to clamp on so that the air does not blow onto my
lubricant discharge nozzle at all, but instead blows outward away from
the spindle area. My only concern is that this might restrict air flow
to much and cause the router to run hotter than it should. They do run
routinely for 7-10 hours non stop.

Wadda ya think? The gap between the deflector and the fan ports would
only be about .250" but it would still be all the way around.