Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Input Power Strip? (for transfer switch between two A/C sources)

On May 9, 10:02*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Evan wrote:
On May 8, 11:53*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

A large double pole, double throw switch would be what he needs, but
if he doesn't know how to do it and has to ask here, he shouldn't try
to do it himself

Right... *So if he can not locate one of those which has the proper
rating, and create his own junction box to install it on his power
strip, then he shouldn't be pondering that direction...

I still wouldn't construct such a device as it wouldn't be UL tested
or approved and just sounds like it could cause trouble... *At least
having to manually unplug the power strip leaves no room for both
sources of power to short to each other as could happen if the
switch broke or the connections to it fail...

~~ Evan

I'm troubled - so much as I'm capable of being troubled by others'
follies, which isn't much - by his statement that a few seconds of pause
between pulling the plug from outlet A and putting it in outlet B is
unacceptable. That means he's looking at a "make before break" switch
and I can't see that not letting some smoke out somewhere, sometime.

Along those lines and as I said before, I'd be interested in hearing
what the loads are. Even without a switch, unless the solar system
includes a battery to even out the power, it would be unsuitable for
many loads. Every time the sun goes behind a cloud there will be
a brown-out condition. And batteries quickly drive up both the
initial cost as well as maintenance costs, as they need to be
replaced. That's why full house systems rarely have them and
instead rely on the grid to stablize the power.

Like so many posts, this one seems to be hit and run, with
no further info from the poster.