Posted to rec.woodworking
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default What are the best kitchen counter materials

Edward Hennessey wrote:
wrote in message
On 5/05/11 10:56 AM, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
Note the plural. For someon who is into wooddorking and cooking, I
am
somewhat ashame to say that I have a 30-year old completely
inefficient kitchen that is now falling apart. I am designing a new
one (thanks Swing for the sketch-up library) and am trying to
figure
out what to use for counter tops.

Note the plural. Maybe there is one best overall material, but I am
not necessarily averse to using more than one.

So what would you use in an ideal kithcen:

Arborite/Formical/High pressure laminate?
Solid surface a la Corian or others?
Paperstone?
Wood - vertical "real" butcher block or horizontal laminations?
What
wood if not maple?
Stone (granite, marble)?
Others I missed?

Right now I'm inclined towards high pressure laminate with maybe a
wood section, or a separate bread/pastaboard that could slip under
the
counter like my father did many years ago. The Arborite has lasted
30
years in my kitchen with only a couple of ugly spots. I realize the
solid surface stuff can be repaired, but how much of a real
advantage
is that?

Note that these are just my initial thoughts and am quite open to
being convinced otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

I can vouch for granite, put it in over ten years ago and still love
it.
Drop a hot pot or pan, no burned spots.
Baking is easy, and wipes up real quick, even kneading a dough on
it.
Typically don't put anything down for chopping either, it still
looks great.

Just a happy customer, although it may be extra expensive where you
are.

--
Froz...

Luigi.

FN is right. Granite can be satisfying. But
there are many kinds of granite. Some of the
most beautiful have a lot of feldspar or
mica. Avoid those.

Ask about how often you have to re-seal any
stone you are thinking about against water
or other fluid penetration. Ask what that entails
in effort, time and cost. Also, many stones have
areas and cracks sealed or filled with colored
resin. Ask about that. Don't be surprised if
salesmen don't or can't respond. Examine the
polished surface by moving along a low, raking angle,
looking for changes in light reflectivity. Areas
of duller shine call for closer examination.

A very fine-grained sandstone would be one
lapidary material to consider.

Porcelain tile with epoxy grout gives you many
choices, durability and repairability. Heavy drops
and burning metal objects can be problems.

Corian is great. No re-sealing necessary. Don't
try to cut it. Don't put red-hot things on it.

I have a hardwood insert with a perpendicular,
split fence at the border facing toward the center
of the kitchen. The fence works to keep drawn
cuts from escaping on to the countertop and it
is a handle too.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

dark granite.