Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default VFD question

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

... [quoting SolaHD]
... When connected as an autotransformer, ...

What? How's that work?

Most of the energy ( wattage or kva ) passes directly from line to load
THROUGH the secondary winding instead of INTO it.

Don't quote me but recalling it goes something like this:

A transformer with 24 volt X 10amps output capacity at secondary = 240 watts
but since ampacity is dependant on conductor cros sectional diameter then at
240 volts this comes out to be 2400 watts instead

--In reality, some amperage actually does pass from primary to secondary via
induction but it is nowhere near 2400 watts...and so while the above only
tells part of the story, rather than try and explain I suggest look it up if
you're truly interested.