Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default cheap painless repair for faux wood garage door panel?

"Colbyt" wrote in
m:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 5/8/2011 3:34 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in

(snip)
the woodworking stores used to have a rubber stamp for putting "wood
grain"
into finishes.they might stil carry it.
It probably won't match what he already has on the garage door.

If using Bondo,I'd form some window screening mesh to fit the large
missing
areas to provide reinforcement(or add chopped glass fiber),since
Bondo is only supposed to be used in THIN layers.

I only have a thin layer missing- 1/16 to 1/8 at most. That is what I
have been scratching my head over- how to get such a thin layer of
bondo to stick well to the exposed fibrous substrate. Afraid that
with the first thermal cycling or hard bump, the whole patch would
fall off with some fuzz sticking to the back of it. No room for
screen or screwheads. Afraid staple-gun staples would be instant rust
magnets. Maybe some tiny holes through the masonite, so the bondo
keys in like an old plaster job? Sit there with the cordless drill
and a 1/4 bit, and make a matrix of holes down into the frame and
foam layer, englishing the bit to make the holes bigger on the
bottom?

Not worried about it looking perfect- this is a 50 year old house,
and 32 year old garage addition. Just want it to not look horrible.
Once bondo hardens, I can scratch it up enough with sur-form and a
screwdriver, so it doesn't stand out so much from the faux woodgrain.

--
aem sends...

If you start with a clean dry surface I don't think you will have any
problems with the Bondo failing.

I agree;
a fibrous or rough surface is great for Bondo adhesion,and a thin layer of
Bondo is desirable. Bondo fails most when it's laid on too thick,and the
different thermal expansion rates of bondo and metal bodywork.

I was thinking of filling in large missing chunks and edging when I
suggested the screening or chopped glass fibers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I have some well painted exterior repairs that are fast approaching
the 10 year mark. Some of those were at little as 1/32" and others
were far thicker than recommended. Most but not all were sealed with
the West epoxy system before the Bondo was applied. It is expensive
but much less than a new door or panel.

Colbyt