Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
amdx amdx is offline

Default VFD question

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Ive got a 5hp PC3 vfd running my Gorton MasterMill.
The top end voltage it is supposed to run on..is 230vts + about 5 volts
It will run down to 200 volts.
Im running it on single phase, been doing it for years.

Now the power company has increased my 220 single phase to about 249
volts and when I try to start it..I keep getting OverVoltage Alarm.

Gunner

Rough numbers--- 5hp at 240 volts is 16 amps.
That means your transformer secondary needs to handle
more than 16 amps and 25 or 30 amps would be a nice SAFETY CUSHION.
So, that's a big transformer, if you have that, then connect the secondary
in series
with one of the 240V wires, But the phase must be reversed to buck the
incoming
240V. You will have to wire up the transformer and measure, if the voltage
it high
just reverse the primary wires.
Someone posted a site hopefully with schematics, if not post back and I'll
draw
one for you.
Mikek