Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default fitting new shower mixer, bar type

On May 8, 5:43*pm, Tom wrote:
Hi All,

I have just bought a Swirl thermostatic shower mixer that is to
replace a leaking AquaLisa recessed model.

After I have filled in the hole where the old shower was (it was
sunken into the tiled plywood "wall" of a cupboard) I need to fit the
new mixer.

The method of fixing it isn't clear from the manual - it seems to be
achieved using "s-elbows" (supplied) and nothing else. Is this usual?

Is there a guide anywhere of how to fit these type of mixers? Is it
effectively supported on the pipes - it does seem quite heavy?

What do I connect the s-elbows to at the supply side?

Thanks, Tom

When I did mine, it came with non-cranked 1/2 to 3/4 inch adapters and
some panel-mounting bolts. I connected the adapters to a compression
elbow at the back, then mounted the adapters onto a piece of aluminium
plate (from a local metal supermarkets) carefully measured and
drilled. The larger plate gives a more solid fixing, and better to
resists forces is someone uses it as a grab handle !
Forward planning is required to ensure the correct depth after tiling.
Simon.