Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default cheap painless repair for faux wood garage door panel?

On 5/8/2011 3:34 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in

(snip)
the woodworking stores used to have a rubber stamp for putting "wood grain"
into finishes.they might stil carry it.
It probably won't match what he already has on the garage door.

If using Bondo,I'd form some window screening mesh to fit the large missing
areas to provide reinforcement(or add chopped glass fiber),since Bondo is
only supposed to be used in THIN layers.

I only have a thin layer missing- 1/16 to 1/8 at most. That is what I
have been scratching my head over- how to get such a thin layer of bondo
to stick well to the exposed fibrous substrate. Afraid that with the
first thermal cycling or hard bump, the whole patch would fall off with
some fuzz sticking to the back of it. No room for screen or screwheads.
Afraid staple-gun staples would be instant rust magnets. Maybe some tiny
holes through the masonite, so the bondo keys in like an old plaster
job? Sit there with the cordless drill and a 1/4 bit, and make a matrix
of holes down into the frame and foam layer, englishing the bit to make
the holes bigger on the bottom?

Not worried about it looking perfect- this is a 50 year old house, and
32 year old garage addition. Just want it to not look horrible. Once
bondo hardens, I can scratch it up enough with sur-form and a
screwdriver, so it doesn't stand out so much from the faux woodgrain.

--
aem sends...