Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Leveling Main Level

"John" wrote in message
I am about to begin reflooring the main level in the house. One
thing
I know I'll have issues with is the fact that the floor is not
level.
I could see/feel dips and rises through the carpet, so I know I will
have to adjust the underfloor to some extent.

Check under the floor in the crawlspace or basement with a level. In
my case, there were joists under the floor 24 inches apart which were
"sistered" and a bathtub in that area. Of course the floor dipped in
that area. This was fixed by adding a wood beam along where the joists
were sistered and then adding pier supports under that.

In another area there was a water heater which had leaked throughout
the years and the floor boards were rotted and quite "wavy". The
joists under that were fine. So that was just a matter of replacing
the wood subfloor and floor in that area. Then pouring floor leveling
compound over the entire area. Now perfectly smooth and level.