Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fitting new shower mixer, bar type

On 08/05/2011 17:43, Tom wrote:
Hi All,

I have just bought a Swirl thermostatic shower mixer that is to
replace a leaking AquaLisa recessed model.

After I have filled in the hole where the old shower was (it was
sunken into the tiled plywood "wall" of a cupboard) I need to fit the
new mixer.

The method of fixing it isn't clear from the manual - it seems to be
achieved using "s-elbows" (supplied) and nothing else. Is this usual?

Is there a guide anywhere of how to fit these type of mixers? Is it
effectively supported on the pipes - it does seem quite heavy?

What do I connect the s-elbows to at the supply side?

Thanks, Tom

When I fitted mine, in a stud wall, I used one of these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/grohe-expo...tion-kit/51167

The elbows are rigidly supported by the cross-piece which, in turn, I
screwed to the studding. I used Hep2O (or equivalent - forget exactly
which) flexible plastic pipe - with inserts, of course - straight into
the compression inputs of the elbows.

I was building the wall at the same time, so it was easy to build this
into the wall. If you can get behind your plywood 'wall', and fit one of
these, it will make your life a hell of a lot easier.
--
Cheers,
Roger