Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Cutting and drilling lead

On 07/05/2011 19:37, tony sayer wrote:
In , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"The Natural wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 07/05/2011 06:59, Matty F wrote:
On May 7, 3:45 am, Roger wrote:
I need to replace the weights in some of my sash windows, because the
existing ones aren't heavy enough. I need to use lead because less
dense
iron or steel weights would occupy more space than is available.

Depleted uranium takes even less space, and is probably cheap. I'm not
sure how it should be cut though

Plus the added bonus of your window frames glowing in the dark :-)

DEPLETED uranium is NOT radioactive.

Shhh you don't want to tell everyone.
Especially as it is radioactive with a half life of about 4.5 billion years.

Ah look at that a radioactive natural element that lasts "forever" I wonder
how we should store it for safe disposal. ;-)

Is that the same grade of metal that thy use as stabilisers on the tail
of a Jumbo jet?..

Spent uranium is used extensively in the aerospace industry, mainly as
ballast, I don't know why it was used on the tail of a jumbo though.

The ballast is used to ensure that the center of lift from the wings
coincides with center of gravity, otherwise you can end up with an
unstable aircraft.

All aircraft have to be accurately weighed as one of the last phases
before its first flight. The aircraft is de-fueled at its correct flight
attitude and this information is fed into the flight computers.

HTH

Dave