Posted to alt.home.repair
Nelly[_2_] Nelly[_2_] is offline

Default Popcorn in a microwave oven!

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , George
wrote:

On 5/7/2011 12:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , Art
wrote:
Well, maybe the Subject line got your attention. I just wanted to
vent a little and warn others of this potential problem. My 2 year
old Whirlpool microwave oven started producing a burning plastic
type of smell. I didn't notice it at the time, but it was always
when we did a bag of popcorn.

[snip looooong tale of woe]

There's a very simple solution: stop using your microwave to make
popcorn,
and
get one of these instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-.../dp/B00004SU35

It will pay for itself rapidly with the money you'll save buying bulk
popcorn
instead of those stupid little microwave bags. And it does a
waaaaaayyyyy
better job of making popcorn, too.

But what about that great chemical factory explosion smell from the fake
butter?

There is nothing that smells more like a locker room full of very stinky
gym socks than microwave popcorn. Absolutely revolting. IMO, of course.

I've noticed that especially with certain brands/flavorings. Not only smells
revolting (I might rather dirty socks) but popping in those bags is really
unhealthy. I always pop mine in my boring, everyday old steel lidded cooking
pot. Just like grandma used to do. There's a certain satisfaction doing it
that way, plus knowing it isn't poisoned, and that I didn't spend money on
or have need to store any special contraptions.