Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Watch cleaning/lubrication

On Sat, 7 May 2011 17:45:22 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On May 7, 8:19*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:29:37 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:
On May 7, 5:09*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

How best to clean and relube this watch?

Take it to a professional.

The cheap ones dip it in a solvent, maybe use ultrasound, the spin it to
remove solvent. *$25 5 years ago.

The expensive ones take it apart and clean each piece. *$150 last year.

Bob

The watch probably wouldn't cost much more than $25 to replace. So,
what kind of solvent? I have an ultrasonic - maybe 91% isopropyl? Does
it need any lubrication after cleaning?

sounds like a reasonable guess. I'd put it in a small container of IPA
and sit that in the larger bath of water. Saves filling the whole
cleaner and works just as well. *I'd try it dry after cleaning.

I know nothing about this, but it doesn't stop me from giving advice.

Karl

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I also know nothing about
this (except the electronics part, which would be fine with this
treatment). I'm wondering if I could do this without taking it further
apart - just taking the back off. I'm not sure what holds the rest of
it together, but I suspect that to really disassemble it would require
some special tools which I don't have. I did, by the way, use the HF
watch case opener to remove the back. It worked fine.

BTW, Karl, did you ever resolve your radio interference problem, or is
it going to wait until the freezing weather returns?

I delayed the need to run it again. Long story short, I'm in a
government program for integrated pest management (IPM). They require
an advisor. This guy wants me to buy an expensive product called
Specware. All it does is record leaf wetness and temperature to a data
file. I do this today to strip chart on paper. He agreed to let me
wait on the Specware purchase.

I bet I'll need it next year. So, there will be a future thread on how
to convert a leaf wetness sensor (open when dry, 1,000,000 ohm wet)
into a 0 to 10 volt signal. I think I'll also do a temp sensor that
works on the same principal at the same time.

Karl