Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gmail as a return address - was Cutting and drilling lead

On 07/05/2011 23:43, Cash wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Sorry to use your post to reply John, but my filters are stopping
the OP - who is probably posting through the google groups.

I most certainly am not!! My posts are all going out via
news.individual.net

Roger,

You may be posting through news.individual (as I am in fact) but you are
using (I have 'doctored' this btw) in the From 'box' and
as I have my filters set to block all google or gmail senders to prevent
spam - then I cannot see posts from them (othen than through posts replying
to you).

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of what I'm doing, without needing to see the
headers. I set up the gmail address explicitly for this purpose.
News.individual.net prefer you to use a real return address, so I
created a throw-away one which I could dispose of if it became too
spam-laden. As it happens, Gmail has very good built-in spam filers, so
very little spam makes it to my inbox - and people *can* reply off list
if they really want to.

It's important to realise that using a gmail return address is *not*
synonymous with posting via Google Groups. Maybe you need to refine your
filters?

[Perhaps someone other than 'Cash' could reply to this so that Cash can
see it if he/she is still blocking gmail].
--
Cheers,
Roger