Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Cutting and drilling lead

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 07/05/2011 06:59, Matty F wrote:
On May 7, 3:45 am, Roger wrote:
I need to replace the weights in some of my sash windows, because
the
existing ones aren't heavy enough. I need to use lead because less
dense
iron or steel weights would occupy more space than is available.

Depleted uranium takes even less space, and is probably cheap. I'm
not
sure how it should be cut though

Plus the added bonus of your window frames glowing in the dark :-)

DEPLETED uranium is NOT radioactive.

Shhh you don't want to tell everyone.
Especially as it is radioactive with a half life of about 4.5 billion
years.

Ah look at that a radioactive natural element that lasts "forever" I
wonder
how we should store it for safe disposal. ;-)

Is that the same grade of metal that thy use as stabilisers on the tail
of a Jumbo jet?..

Probably.

So you'd presume that its safe to use out in the open as it were...

I expect its quite safe as long as you keep it wrapped in something
suitable.

No its not wrapped in anything special just some thin ally...
--
Tony Sayer