Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Leveling Main Level

On May 7, 6:03*pm, "EXT" wrote:
"John" wrote in message

I am about to begin reflooring the main level in the house. *One thing
I know I'll have issues with is the fact that the floor is not level.
I could see/feel dips and rises through the carpet, so I know I will
have to adjust the underfloor to some extent.

I did a search online for some ideas of how to best level the floor,
but none of the articles I found were very good. *For example, what's
the maximum thickness of leveling compound you should use? *When
should you shim instead of using leveling compound, etc? *What do you
do about rises right next to a wall (assuming the floor board actually
goes under the wall? *What unexpected special cases might I run into?
Nails or screws? *What about squeeks? etc

This is for the main level of the house, so I want to do this
properly, but I also have a time constraint. *I'd rather not run into
situations at the last minute that I hadn't thought of. *Does anyone
know of any good articles on the subject, or can anyone offer any
advice?

I had a problem where an addition met an older area of the house, there was
a slight rise over a foundation wall and a drop on one side. I used leveling
compound to level the floor after using a #36 grit belt sander to reduce the
rise. Where I needed more than 3/4" of filler I glued and power nailed in
plywood filler pieces to reduce the amount of filler needed and to add to
the floor stiffness. Worked like a dream. Topped it all with 1/4" firply
glued down the the old plywood floor and filler. This gave a flat, strong
and level surface to nail the hardwood flooring onto.

ROFL... So you fixed the symptom but didn't correct the problem...

How many times are you going to keep adding leveling compound ?

~~ Evan