Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Popcorn in a microwave oven!

In , Smitty
Two wrote:

In article , George
wrote:

On 5/7/2011 12:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , Art
wrote:
Well, maybe the Subject line got your attention. I just wanted to
vent a little and warn others of this potential problem. My 2 year
old Whirlpool microwave oven started producing a burning plastic
type of smell. I didn't notice it at the time, but it was always
when we did a bag of popcorn.

[snip looooong tale of woe]

There's a very simple solution: stop using your microwave to make popcorn,
and
get one of these instead:
http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-.../dp/B00004SU35

It will pay for itself rapidly with the money you'll save buying bulk
popcorn instead of those stupid little microwave bags. And it does a
waaaaaayyyyy better job of making popcorn, too.

But what about that great chemical factory explosion smell from the fake
butter?

There is nothing that smells more like a locker room full of very stinky
gym socks than microwave popcorn. Absolutely revolting. IMO, of course.

I find microwave popcorn to smell pleasant, though "real food" can beat
cheap stuff with cheap flavoring chemicals.

My biggest complaint against microwaving popcorn is that "fully popping
it" takes about 80-90% as much time as it takes to make it catch fire.

Microwave popcorn requires supervision, especially if you use a
different microwave than the one you are used to, or if the package got
downsized the way ice cream and yogurt packages got downsized.
--
- Don Klipstein )