Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Cause of blue stain in toilet? Iodine?

ShadowTek wrote in
n:

I haven't cleaned my toilet bowl in about 2 months and I'm seeing this
blue trail of a stain running out from the large jet in bottom of the
bowl. I've never seen it before (and I've gone a lot longer than 2
monthes between cleanings in the past) so I'm just curious what might
be causing it.

One thought that crossed my mind is that it could be signs of the
iodine release from Japan, but I'm not sure if that's even possible to
observe like this.

It is likely from corroding copper. Better check before something is
eaten through and leaking.

The blue from iodine is a complex between iodine (I2) and starch.
Observe by moistening a wad of toilet tissue just a little, and then
adding a drop of the brown iodine or povidine solution used for
desinfecting wounds. You need real amounts of idoine for this, not the
barely traces from Japan. Moreover, that would be iodine 131, which has
a half-life of about 3 days. Since the last real dispersal from the
reactors in Japan is more than amonth ago, there is nothing left from
that I131. Official radioactive disposal rule for researchers: If you
can safely store it for more than 13 halflives, you can dispose of it in
the trash. Done that several times when I was working with P32
phosphate. Need to take care storing it of course - thich (plexi)glass
for P32.

--
Best regards
Han