Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Wilson[_3_] Chris Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Cutting and drilling lead

Roger Mills wrote in news:92l62cFbh3U1
@mid.individual.net:

I did once years ago..low drill speed and lots of lube IIRC, or it melts
and clogs.

I found when I experimented on a lump of lead with an HS bit in a
cordless drill that swarf was thrown out in long ribbons, some of which
congealed round the mouth of the hole - a bit like candle wax.

I'm wondering whether to try using a bit in hand brace rather than an
electric drill, so as to drill *very* slowly. Is that likely to work?

It won't "not" work, what you might want to do is once you've stated and a
hole begins to form is fill it with talcum powder. I do a lot of work with
white metals (lead alloys for making models) - using talcum powder saves a
lot of files and whilst it'll still stick it will stick less

--

All the best,

Chris