Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Leveling Main Level

On May 7, 2:34*pm, John wrote:
I am about to begin reflooring the main level in the house. *One thing
I know I'll have issues with is the fact that the floor is not level.
I could see/feel dips and rises through the carpet, so I know I will
have to adjust the underfloor to some extent.

I did a search online for some ideas of how to best level the floor,
but none of the articles I found were very good. *For example, what's
the maximum thickness of leveling compound you should use? *When
should you shim instead of using leveling compound, etc? *What do you
do about rises right next to a wall (assuming the floor board actually
goes under the wall? *What unexpected special cases might I run into?
Nails or screws? *What about squeeks? etc

This is for the main level of the house, so I want to do this
properly, but I also have a time constraint. *I'd rather not run into
situations at the last minute that I hadn't thought of. *Does anyone
know of any good articles on the subject, or can anyone offer any
advice?

Thanks

John

get a structural engineers opinion if the main level has standard
floor construction.

if its woood you might have termites or carpenter ants weakening your
floors