Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Leveling Main Level

I am about to begin reflooring the main level in the house. One thing
I know I'll have issues with is the fact that the floor is not level.
I could see/feel dips and rises through the carpet, so I know I will
have to adjust the underfloor to some extent.

I did a search online for some ideas of how to best level the floor,
but none of the articles I found were very good. For example, what's
the maximum thickness of leveling compound you should use? When
should you shim instead of using leveling compound, etc? What do you
do about rises right next to a wall (assuming the floor board actually
goes under the wall? What unexpected special cases might I run into?
Nails or screws? What about squeeks? etc

This is for the main level of the house, so I want to do this
properly, but I also have a time constraint. I'd rather not run into
situations at the last minute that I hadn't thought of. Does anyone
know of any good articles on the subject, or can anyone offer any
advice?

Thanks

John