Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Punching Holes in Sheetmetal

Ted Frater wrote:
Steve B wrote:
My wife wants me to make some sconce lights out of sheets of sheet
metal. I can get paintlock of various thicknesses, but some is
rather thick for hand punching.

I want to punch squares or rectangles to get a stairstep southwest
Indian design type of thing, or variations on that theme.

Are there any punches made in a type that has a punch and a matching
backup to help cut the design? I want to do these myself with a
hammer, or perhaps there is something available that is run by air or
hydraulic? Something that won't cost an arm and a leg, and punch
different shapes of holes, squares, diamonds, rectangles, mostly
about 1" max dimension in any direction, with the holes being
smaller, and they could be drilled.

TIA

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

If it were me, id have a quiet word with my laser profiler.
He does lots of work for me and he might just think it fun to write
the DFX file for lots of different shapes and laser them out when the
machine is not making money.
You will need to find a laser profier near you and go and have a word.
Let us know how you get on.
Its amazing what our better halves think up for something better to do!!
Ted
Dorset UK.

I was wondering about suggesting that, I've not had any done recently
but have had many jobs done by Freshlook Engineering in Frome and just
email them a DXF file drawn with QCad and wait for the bits to be cut.
I'm local so just pop in and collect the parts.