Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default UK DVDs

On 06/05/2011 22:27, Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:
On 05/05/2011 20:26, Ian Jackson wrote:
In ,
writes
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not
play in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

It's a while since I used it.

However, if it's for watching on a computer, download, install and run
DVD43 (freeware) before you play the DVD.
http://www.dvd43.com/
That certainly works with well with American Region 1 DVDs.

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

I hadn't thought about Never The Same Colour.

Thanks, it's back to the drawing board then.

It's fairly trivial to do the conversion if that's what you want to do and
to create an NTSC disk that will play in your DVD player.

First you need to rip the DVD to disk, removing the region encoding as you
do so.

This will give you a folder that replicates the structure of files on the
DVD. An application such as VLC will now be able to play thweDVD from this
folder. So if all you/your SO want to do is to watch the DVD that's about
all you need.

If you want to burn a DVD and you want to convert to NTSC you need to
convert it. FFMPEG is free and does a brilliant job but it's a complex
application to use. However it will turn a folder of VOB files from a DVD
into a .ts file (relatively quickly) that most DVD burners can write to an
NTSC DVD. You get a simple DVD with just the main feature, no menus, and no
"extras" but it is servicable and will play on most NTSC DVD players from
this century.

Thanks for the info. Noted and printed and I will get back to the
problem on Monday.

Dave