Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default silver sand, plasterers' sand, children's sand, etc

On Fri, 06 May 2011 21:27:41 +0100, Stephen wrote:

I had a look on google groups because I am sure this gets asked every
summer but I wanted to know what sand is used in children's sandpits.
Toy shops sell bags of "sandpit sand" but I am sure there are cheaper
ways to buy it.

Builders' sand is soft but red, and I understand it would stain
children's clothes, so that rules that out.

Sharp sand is sandy in colour but would it be too sharp?!

Am I right to think plasterers' sand is just a finer version of sharp
sand? So it might be just what I need?

And is silver sand even finer still, so even better?

I think what you want is silver sand aka playpit sand. A few year ago I
got a 1 tonne bag delivered which was about 10 times more than I needed
but still worked out cheaper than buying it by the little retail bags
sold in B&Q or Homebase etc.

Builders'/soft sand definitely stains and claggs up with water - not what
you want. Sharp sand which I think is the same as plasterers' sand
(actually used for rendering not plaster plastering) may stain as well,
and is a bit gritty - not pleasant for play.

I have read old posts of people digging and lining holes to make a sand
pit but I was going to have something above ground. I thought four sides
of treated timber (gravel board?) to contain the sand and a sloping
plywood roof to keep the rain off and cats out. Any flaws with that
plan?

Sounds good. You'll need something to separate sand from ground but let
water out. The non-woven ply-something textile stuff they use on
building sites etc for various purposes is good for this: tough as nails
but water runs through it.

--
John Stumbles

What is a simile like?